Initially, when I took aunt Charlotte to a nursing home, I did not think that I would be needing the services of a nursing home abuse lawyer. I thought since I was taking her to a place where she would be cared for and loved, there will be no need for that, but not until she was physically abused. This was when I employed the services of a nursing home abuse lawyer.
A nursing home is designed to keep the elderly safe and healthy. So most people trust that their elderly ones will be taken care of well in a skilled nursing facility.
But when Charlotte was abused, I realized that even though nursing facilities provide high-level care to people whose families cannot care for their elderly or disabled loved ones on their own, they still have their shortcomings, problems, and challenges.
Nursing Home Abuse
When I was investigating aunt Charlotte’s case, I found out abuse happens to be one of the problems of caring homes. Physical abuse just like the case of my aunt is not the only vivid type of abuse in a nursing home, there are others. Here is a list of the types of abuse prominent there.
- Emotional abuse.
- Psychological abuse.
- Verbal abuse.
- Financial abuse/exploitation.
- Physical abuse.
- Sexual abuse.
If you find out that your loved one is being abused in a caring facility, you have to voice out, do not overlook it. Irrespective of the type of abuse, it is unacceptable and it brings serious harm. This abuse can lead to serious illness, mental problems, and in the worst cases death.
Signs of Abuse to Look out for in a Nursing Home
Also, just like in the case of aunt Charlotte, you should know that some elders may not be able to inform family members about the abuse. This could be because of their lack of audacity, physical limitations, or because they are afraid that the nurses will harm them further if they speak up. But here are some common red flags that will enable you to know your loved one is being abused;
- Malnutrition and dehydration.
- Emotional withdrawal.
- Bruises or bleeding, fractures, open wounds and welts, and untreated injuries.
- Helplessness, fear, or any sudden behavior change.
- Unexplained infections or diseases.
- Sudden financial problems.
- unexplained changes in a person’s finances.
- Controversial financial or legal documents, or the disappearance of those documents.
Once you notice any of these signs, you should find out if your loved one is being abused.
Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
During aunt Charlotte’s case, I employed the services of a nursing home abuse lawyer and we were able to bring the abuser to book. Different states and countries have laws to help protect the rights of residents in care facilities, so if you suspect that your elders in nursing homes are being abused, you should employ the services of a lawyer.
Nursing home abuse lawyers are meant to help you when it comes to abuse cases. An experienced lawyer can help you hold the abusers accountable for their actions. And with their help, you can carry out a thorough investigation into the incident and uncover valid evidence to use in the courtroom.
I believe that those who harm, neglect, or abuse the elderly through their negligent or intentional acts should be held accountable and that our senior citizens and their families deserve compensation for their injuries. But this can be done through the assistance of Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers.
Ten Best Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
Here are some Law firm and their locations. You can employ their services in cases of abuse.
- Papalois law firm – Athens, Greece
- Lexin Legal – Istanbul, Turkey
- Legal Rights Georgia – Tbilisi, Georgia
- Just & Fair Law Firm – Istanbul, Turkey
- Gibson Watson Marino LLC – Wichita, United States
- Carne Reidy Herd – Brisbane, Australia
- Ryan Murdoch O’Regan Lawyers – Brisbane, Australia
- Erickson | Sederstrom ES Law – Omaha, United States
- Shatz, Schwartz, and Fentin P.C. – Springfield, United States
- ALGaber Legal Consultancy – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Listed above are the best law firms that you can try out in cases of abuse.